I love this meal for chilly Autumn Days. The soup is comforting without being too heavy and the scones are soft and fluffy, delicious straight from the oven with lashings of butter.
They’re both really easy and quick to make and the soup freezes well too.
Creamy Mushroom Soup
- 1 small onion
- Knob of butter
- 500g mushrooms
- 400ml boiling water
- 200 ml double cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Finely chop and gently fry the onion in the butter for a few minutes until soft.
- Roughly chop the mushrooms and add to the onions. Stir, cover and leave to sweat over a low heat for a couple of minutes.
- Add the boiling water. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, whiz it up in the blender and salt and pepper to taste.
You could use vegetable stock instead of water but I prefer not to as I feel it overpowers the taste of the mushrooms.
A mix of cream and milk could be used if you’re counting the calories.
Pumpkin and Sunflower Seed Cheesy Scones
(makes 6 large)
- 300g s/r flour
- 100g butter
- 1 large egg
- few tablespoons milk
- 125g grated cheese
- 25g sunflower seeds
- 25g pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven 220°c, gas mark 7.
- Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. I whizz mine up for a couple of seconds in the food processor.
- Stir in 100g of grated cheese (reserve 25g for the topping) and the pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
- Beat the egg and add it to the dry ingredients. Add milk a spoonful at a time until you get a nice soft dough that isn’t too sticky.
- On a floured board flatten out the dough until it’s about 2 cm thick. (I don’t bother with a rolling pin and just push it with the palm of my hand…one less thing to wash up and that’s always welcome.)
- Cut out individual scones in your desired shape and size and place onto a baking tray.
- Divide the remaining 25g of grated cheese beteen your scones and pile it up on top.
- Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes until raised and golden on the outside and fluffy in the middle.
2012 © My Little 3 and Me