This beautiful edible tree makes a great table centre piece. Easy and fun to do, your children will love to get involved.
50g soft brown sugar
3 heaped tablespoons of golden syrup
175g plain flour
1 teaspoon of ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
50g icing sugar
a drop of green food colouring (or a mix of blue and yellow)
10cm lollypop stick (A cut down wooden skewer would work just as well)
A selection of cake decorating toppings such as sprinkles, hundreds and thousands, silver balls etc.
x3 sizes of star cookie cutters.
- Pre-heat the oven 160C
- Melt the butter, sugar and syrup over a gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Put the flour, ginger and cinnamon into a large bowl and stir in the melted butter mix.
- Knead to a soft rollable dough. (If it’s too wet add a little more flour and too dry add a drop of water.) and roll out onto a lightly floured board about 1/2 cm thick.
- Cut out 4 large, medium and small stars, place them on baking trays lined with greaseproof paper.
- Use the lolly stick to poke a hole into the centre of each star. Wiggle the lolly-stick a little to make the hole slightly bigger than you need as it will close a little when baking.
- Pop in the oven and bake for 15 mins or until lightly golden.
- When cool mix up the icing sugar with the green food colouring and a few drops of water. Pour the icing onto a flat plate and dip one side of each star into the icing. (This is quicker than trying to paint it on.)
- Before the icing sets decorate with your choice of sprinkles etc. (I used red sprinkles and silver and gold balls.)
- When the icing has set simply thread the stars biggest first, then medium, then small onto the lolly stick. (You may need to poke through the holes first with a cocktail stick if they’ve become blocked with icing but this is easy enough to do.)
Wrapped up in a see-through presentation bag with a swish of ribbon they make a really pretty homemade Christmas gift.
We hope you have lots of fun with this idea and would love to hear how you got on.
2012 © My Little 3 and Me